On the morning of September 5th, 2020, we started getting horses ready for a big holiday weekend. Historically, Laborday Weekend is a big deal for us mountain folks. It's the un-official end of summer as well as the last big HOORAH for the season. In the AM, We were told of a fire that had started just outside Camp Sierra, which is near the Big Creek area. It had burned 500 acres. We didn't think we would be in harms way.. but the fire thought otherwise. By the afternoon, the fire had burned 2000 acres and we decided to evacuate the horses.
All day we moved horses, staff and tack down the mountain to a safe haven. The next morning, my family was told to evacuate our home just at the top of the four lanes. We did what we could to get everything out ~ by Monday morning, we had to move the horses lower down to Clovis..
It has been a very difficult week for not just us but for all the residents and visitors that love the Shaver Lake area. The Creek Fire has now burned over 180K acres in our beautiful mountains and on 9/8/2020, we lost our home to the fire. We lost a lot to the fire.. Many homes have perished and our beloved Cressmans General Store is no more. The full effects of this fire have not been seen yet as it is still 0% contained.
As of today, the stable stands in Shaver. We are not out of the woods yet and are connected to 3 other properties we are praying will survive.
We know you have reservations that were not honored.. we completely understand and will take care of it as soon as we can. We would like to ask at this time, who can take a credit for next year? I can hold open reservations and use your credit at a later date. This would greatly help our family get through this time. Help feed the horses and help us start to rebuild our lives. If you can't do that, we understand. Please send me an email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience while we get through this time and know we appreciate each and every one of you for your support.
Niles and Gabrielle Kant